Young children are often fascinated by cars, boats, planes, trains, trucks and anything else that moves! Vehicles are an exciting part of children’s daily lives, and you can use their interest in transportation to extend their learning in others ways – including reading.
There are many wonderful children’s books that can inspire your child to think even more about transportation and that can stimulate discussions about how we move from here to there. Consider reading the popular children’s books listed below and then taking your child on a follow-up adventure – maybe to observe the excitement at a bike repair shop or to ride on a local trolley. Your child will love exploring this great topic with you!
Ages 0-2 years
- “Little Blue Truck” by Alice Schertle and Jill McElmurry
- “Baby Touch and Feel: Trucks” by DK
- “Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site” by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
- “Planes” by Byron Barton
- “The Pigeon Loves Things that Go” by Mo Willems
Ages 3-5 years
- “My Big Truck Book” by Roger Priddy
- “Locomotive” by Brian Floca
- “Super Submarines” by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker
- “Roaring Rockets” by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker
- “School Bus” by Donald Crews
Looking to add more books to your shelf? Check out our top picks on Pinterest.
Note: Anyone who shops through AmazonSmile and selects Primrose Children’s Foundation as the nonprofit of choice will help to support charities focused on building literacy such as Save the Children and ZERO TO THREE.
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School