Fall is the season that helps your little one’s imagination run wild! Encourage imaginative development for children by playing dress-up and joining fall festivities like trick-or-treating. Pick a fun, comfortable costume for your preschooler or toddler with these tips:
- Support your child’s creative side. It’s natural for your child to explore magical possibilities! In their minds, they can transform into superheroes, princess fairies or their favorite cartoon characters. Allow your child to embrace these identities for trick-or-treating, as they are part of her normal development.
- Get a head start. Ask your child what he wants to be and begin the process of making or shopping for a costume ahead of time. You’ll not only build excitement for your child, you’ll avoid a meltdown in the middle of a costume store if you wait until the day before.
- Try a DIY costume. If you plan to create your child’s costume at home, engage her in the process and ask for input. Making a costume can be a fun bonding experience and is a great opportunity to empower your little one to share her vision and ideas.
- Test for comfort. Have your child try on their costume at the store or at home to ensure he’ll be comfortable trick-or-treating. Be sure to check for scratchy fabrics or uncomfortable shoes.
- Watch the weather. Plan accordingly for typical weather in your area. If you’re expecting chilly autumn temperatures, add an extra warm layer, like a turtleneck or pair of leggings, underneath your child’s costume. If it will be a warmer night, choose breathable fabrics.
- Extend the fun. For preschoolers, identifying with the character they chose to dress up as does not need to be limited to one evening or event. If your child wants to wear the costume around the house the week before or after trick-or-treating, let him!
- Prepare for scares. While trick-or-treating encourages imaginative thinking, little ones can be easily spooked by scary costumes or decorations. It’s important to remind your child what’s real and what’s make-believe.
Looking for more fall fun? Check out our family-friendly bucket list filled with seasonal activities!
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School