Late October is a beloved time of year for many children. Who doesn’t love getting dressed up as their favorite character or superhero and then parading around the neighborhood and receiving a bagful of treats? Though as a parent, it can be hard to manage all of the sugar.
To provide snacks that are nutritious, delicious and in the spirit of this time of year, try Banana Mummies and Black-Eyed Deviled Eggs.
(Makes 8 banana mummies)
- 4 bananas
- 16 small raisins
- Peel 4 bananas
- PARENT STEP: Cut the bananas in half.
- Have your little one help you take a spoon and drizzle sunbutter across the front of each banana half in opposing diagonal lines so that it looks like a mummy. Let him or her place 2 small raisins near the top of the banana next to one another for the eyes.
Black-Eyed Deviled Eggs
Makes 8 black-eyed deviled eggs
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ cup guacamole
- 8 black olive slices
- PARENT STEP: Hard-boil the eggs.
- PARENT STEP: Peel the hard-boiled eggs.
- PARENT STEP: Carefully cut each egg in half, lengthwise.
- Working together, scoop out the egg yolk into a small bowl. Set aside the egg white cups.
- Add the guacamole to the small bowl and mash together with the cooked egg yolks until the mixture is fairly smooth.
- Scoop the guacamole and egg mixture back into each egg white half. Let your little one put a black olive slice in the center of the guacamole and egg mixture so that it looks like an eye.
Check out these other healthy snacks:
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School