Ring in the Fourth of July with a cool, nondairy dessert that requires few ingredients to make. Children can help create the layers to craft a colorful and tasty result.
For the red layer
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
For the white layer
- 1 cup non-refrigerated culinary coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the blue layer
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- PARENT STEP: Combine strawberries, maple syrup and water in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into 6 ice pop molds, using about 1 1/2 tablespoons per mold. Place the molds in the freezer for at least 40 minutes.
- PARENT STEP: Combine coconut milk and maple syrup in a clean blender. Pulse until mixed.
- After the red layer is set, add a heaping tablespoon of the white mixture to each mold to form the middle layer (save the remaining white mixture for the next step). Return the molds to the freezer until white layer is firm.
- PARENT STEP: Add frozen blueberries to the remaining white mixture and blend until smooth.
- Remove the molds from the freezer. Add the blue layer on top.
- Insert a popsicle stick or base into each mold. Freeze until firm, about 4 to 5 hours.
- PARENT STEP: Run the molds under hot water for about 10 seconds to remove popsicles.
- Serve and enjoy!
There are plenty of delicious and easy ways to mark the holiday. Consider these other patriotic ideas to prepare together: