Add a little color to your day with an easy DIY craft! You can create this simple experiment with ingredients you may already have at home. By layering liquids according to density (heaviest liquids on the bottom and lighter liquids on the top), the colors will layer and create your very own rainbow in a jar! This activity is recommended for ages 3+.
- Tall glass or jar
- Food coloring (red, green and purple)
- Blue dish soap (non-toxic)
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- GROWN-UP STEP: Rubbing alcohol or baby oil
Parents, your little ones can help you stir and pour to make the rainbow, but always use caution and make sure your child knows not to digest the ingredients!
- Mix honey and purple food coloring. Add to the bottom of the jar.
- Add blue dish soap to jar.
- Mix water and green food coloring. Add to the jar – but pour carefully!
- Add olive oil or vegetable oil.
- GROWN-UP STEP: Mix rubbing alcohol or baby oil with red food coloring. Add to the top of the jar to complete your rainbow!
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School