Add a little color to your day with an easy DIY craft! You can create this simple experiment with ingredients you may already have at home. By layering liquids according to density (heaviest liquids on the bottom and lighter liquids on the top), the colors will layer and create your very own rainbow in a jar!
- Tall glass or jar
- Food coloring (red, green and purple)
- Blue dish soap (non-toxic)
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- PARENT: Rubbing alcohol (or baby oil if child wants to pour)
Parents, your little ones can help you stir and pour to make the rainbow, but always use caution and make sure your child knows not to digest the ingredients!
- Mix honey and purple food coloring. Add to the bottom of the jar.
- Add blue dish soap to jar.
- Mix water and green food coloring. Add to the jar – but pour carefully!
- Add olive oil or vegetable oil.
- PARENT STEP: Mix rubbing alcohol and red food coloring. Add to the top of the jar to complete your rainbow! (You can substitute rubbing alcohol with baby oil if the child would like to pour the liquid.)
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School