Have you ever wondered how ducks stay warm while swimming in cold water? They produce an oil that makes their feathers waxy and water-repellant. Demonstrate how these feathered friends stay dry with this simple duck science activity for preschoolers.
- Duck printable
- Spray bottle
- Food coloring
- Color in the duck printable with crayons – be sure to fill in the duck’s body, too
- Fill a spray bottle with water
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the spray bottle and shake it up
- Spray the duck and see what happens
- Watch how the crayon wax keeps the duck dry
If you liked this duck activity, check out this bubbly experiment for preschoolers!