The start of a new year is a great time to reflect on the past, look ahead to the coming year and think about what we want to do differently. For many of us, eating better tops the list of New Year’s resolutions. But where do you begin?
A great way to tackle any resolution is to break it down into smaller, more realistic steps. If eating healthier is one of your family’s goals for this year, follow these bite-sized steps to help you get there in 2020:
- Collect healthy recipes. Gather and save healthy dinner ideas so you have them on hand when you plan and prepare meals.
- Plan out weekly menus. Have a set meal plan in place each week to help you stay prepared and on track, even during hectic weeknights.
- Eat together as a family. Make a commitment to get the family together at mealtimes. This will ensure everyone is not only eating better, but also spending more quality time with one another.
To help get you started, here are a few of my favorite go-to, healthy, kid-friendly recipes that don’t require hours in the kitchen:
- Speedy Chicken Stroganoff
- Cheesy Beany Zucchini Quesadillas
- Chicken Sausage and Kale Ravioli Soup
- Garden Mushroom and Beef Meatloaf
- Speedy Shrimp Tacos
While the entrée usually takes center stage in a meal, it’s important not to overlook side dishes. Sides that contain fruits and vegetables are certain to pack a nutritional punch. A great way to make sure you always have easy access to healthy sides is to store a variety of fruits and veggies in the freezer or pantry. Frozen or canned fruits and veggies can be just as healthy as fresh, not to mention convenient.
Here are some of my favorite veggie-packed sides, which you can easily adapt to include your family’s favorite in-season vegetables or produce:
Remember that little ones are more likely to try new foods if they’ve had a hand in planning and preparing, so ask them for input and let them help you in the kitchen. Making your children part of the process also creates an opportunity to spend quality time together and lays the foundation for healthy habits that will last a lifetime.
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School