Fostering a sense of belongingness means creating and maintaining an environment where everyone feels included, and that comes to life in Primrose classrooms in a variety of ways every day. One of the most impactful ways is through books. When children open a book, they’re not just learning about words and pictures. They’re also learning how their experiences fit within the broader world.
At Primrose, this is why we use books, images, educational materials and toys to show children people who look like them as well as people who are different. This representation as well as interactive learning experiences helps children develop a sense of self and an appreciation for others.
Our Balanced Learning® curriculum uses a thoughtfully selected library of books that support this sense of belongingness by representing a wide range of characters and circumstances. Readers can connect to the story What I Like About You on a whole new level with an interactive read-along narrated by the author Allia Zobel-Nolan.
Build your own library with some of the books found in our classrooms.
- A Is for Awesome! 23 Iconic Women Who Changed the World by Eva Chen
- Astro Girl by Ken Wilson-Max
- Baby Loves Aerospace Engineering! by Ruth Spiro
- Dream Big, Little One by Vashti Harrison
- Eyes That Kiss in the Corners by Joanna Ho
- Gravity by Jason Chin
- I Am Brave: A Little Book About Martin Luther King, Jr. by Brad Meltzer
- I’m Like You, You’re Like Me: A Book About Understanding and Appreciating Each Other by Cindy Gainer
- It’s Okay to Be Different by Todd Parr
- Mixed Me! by Taye Diggs
- Peekaboo Morning by Rachel Isadora
- Rainbow Joe and Me by Maria Diaz Strom
- Think Big, Little One by Vashti Harrison
- Tickle, Tickle by Helen Oxenbury
- Toddler Two by Anastasia Suen
- We’re Better Together: A Book About Community by Eileen Spinelli
- What I Like About Me! A Book Celebrating Differences by Allia Zobel Nolan
- What Is Light? by Markette Sheppard
- You Matter by Christian Robinson
For more on how we help teach children about acceptance and belongingness, check out:
- 4 Ways to Teach Your Child About Diversity
- Helping Your Child Embrace Differences
- Fostering a Sense of Belongingness in Every Child
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School