What do diamonds, salt and sugar have in common? They’re all crystals! Your child can see the crystallization process in action by creating these simple DIY crystal geodes.
- Glass mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Boiling water
- Food coloring
- Half an eggshell
- Fill a glass bowl with boiling water.
- Add a generous amount of salt and stir until it stops dissolving.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and stir.
- Place half an eggshell in a small bowl.
- Fill the small bowl with salt water solution.
- Let soak for 3-7 days.
- Observe the salt particles crystallize on the eggshells to create beautiful geodes!
If you enjoyed this activity, check out more science activities for kids.
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School