This age-appropriate science craft for kids encourages curiosity with this bubbly lesson in observation. Ask your child questions about the science behind these “potion” bottles and have your little one predict if each liquid will mix or separate.
- 2 tbsp. of oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Empty bottle or glass
- 2+ different bottles of food coloring
- Fill the empty glass or bottle half full with water.
- Add oil to the water. Ask your child to make observations about how the oil and water separate.
- Add two or three drops of one bottle of food coloring to the water and oil. Encourage your child to observe how the food coloring and water mix, while the oil and food coloring do not.
- Shake the bottle and observe how the liquid mixes and separates.
- Repeat the steps using different amounts of food coloring, water and oil.
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School