‘Tis the season for hustle and bustle: A month with so much to do that we wish for extra hours in the day. But, despite the busyness of December, it also offers us a chance to slow down and spend some extra time with our little ones. There’s no better way to bond with children than through reading, and now is the perfect time for your family to choose books about a variety of cultures and their holiday traditions.
“Books, especially those filled with intriguing photos or illustrations, make learning about other cultures a delight for children,” said Jacquelyn C. Miller, MLIS, Reach Out and Read’s National Book Coordinator. “The similarities between celebrations children are familiar with and the ones that are described in books provide a bridge of understanding. The differences in the celebrations become intriguing rather than disconcerting, which provides the opportunity for children to learn and appreciate what makes other cultures as unique and wonderful as their own.”
Below are some of our favorite doctor-recommended children’s books about celebrations of all kinds. Cuddle up with your child and start a new tradition of reading together this season. Happy Holidays – and Happy Reading!
Books about Celebrations of all Kinds
- Children Just Like Me by Annabel Kindersley
- Kids Around the Worlds Celebrate: The Best Feasts and Festivals from Many Lands by Lynda Jones
- Lights of Winter: Celebrations Around the World by Heather Conrad
- The Winter Solstice by Ellen Jackson
- Celebrate: A Book of Jewish Holidays by Judy Gross
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston
- Celebrate!: Connections Among Cultures by Jan Reynolds
For reading tips, doctor-recommended book lists, and more, please visit www.reachoutandread.org. Find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Find a Primrose School Near You
Inspire a lifelong love of learning. Contact your local Primrose to schedule a tour.Find A School