It’s hard to believe that 2017 is coming to an end! We hope that this has been a year full of fun, growth and special memories for you and your family.
This year on the Pointers for Parents blog, we’ve shared parenting advice, family activities and helpful tips about the physical and social development of your child. Here’s a look back on some of our readers’ favorite 2017 posts!
Parenting and Child Development:
- How Much Screen Time is Too Much? by Dr. Gloria Julius: Get a summary of the recent recommendations for screen usage by the American Academy of Pediatrics and find resources for implementing screen time parameters in your home.
- 6 Skills Your Child Needs and How To Develop Them by Primrose Schools: Find out more about the six Executive Function skills that can help your young child develop and set them up for career success!
- Positive Parenting Tips and Scripts by Lynn Louise Wonders: Say this, not that. Learn about the power of affirmation and get a list of positive phrases to use to correct your child’s undesirable behavior.
- Moms: Read This if You’re Nervous for the First Day of School by Liz Ergle: This Primrose mom shares her experience on her daughter’s first day of school, and provides helpful advice for new moms who are making the transition to child care for the first time.
Crafts and Family Fun:
- Easy Teacher Gifts That Say “Thank You”! by Liz Ergle: Here are five easy ways for you and your child to work together to thank her teachers for all of their hard work!
- 4 Things to Do With Your Child’s Artwork by Megan Hettig: Is your refrigerator door covered with drawings and finger paintings? Here are four alternative ways to use your little one’s masterpieces.
- Explore Science With This Fun, Bubbling Potion by Primrose Schools: You and your kids can make this DIY experiment with simple ingredients found around the house.
- 5 Fun Math Games for Toddlers by Dr. Sandra M. Linder: Here are five simple (and fun!) math games that are perfect for your little one’s developing mind.
Healthy Eating and Wellness:
- Healthy, Store-Bought Snacks for Kids by Ann Dunaway Teh: This list of 16 snacks includes items you can purchase at the grocery store that are both healthy and delicious.
- Toddler Won’t Eat Veggies? Here’s 8 Tips & Tricks by Ann Dunaway Teh: Parents of picky eaters – we’ve got ideas for how to include vegetables in your toddler’s food – without causing a breakdown at the dinner table!
- 6 Easy Summer Dinner Recipes by Ann Dunaway Teh: These kid-friendly recipes may be summery, but they are delicious all year long!
- 4 Simple Ways to Protect Your Family Against Cold & Flu Season by Dr. Laura Jana: These helpful reminders can keep your little ones healthy during the season of sniffles.